Back With Ubuntu

Sunday, August 5, 2007

I was able to install Ubuntu this afternoon. It took a while to update
the whole thing. I used an old copy of Feisty for 7.04 and it took
about 2 hours and a half to get it all down.

I was hoping to get Conky (http://conky.sourceforge.net) working so I
could have a system monitor that was a bit more detailed, but it
didn't want to play. I don't know what I did wrong but I messed up my
desktop after mucking up the the config file (.conkyrc). I initially
found settings from Ubuntu Geek
(www.ubuntugeek.com/conky-a-light-weight-system-monitor-for-ubuntu-linux-systems.html
) which I copied over to my .conkyrc file. I wanted it to display
somewhere else so I tried using different settings and eventually had
to restart. When I got back, any window I opened would only open on
the top left side of the desktop. The title bars also disappeared and
I could move any of the apps I opened, so it was a pain. Every new
window would open on top of the previous active window and obscuring
the one behind it, all on the top left side of the desktop.

I had to return everything to what it was and uninstalled Conky. I
didn't find out what caused it but I have a gnawing suspicion it could
have been enabling the the double-buffer and windowed mode at the same
time. I'll try and install it again tomorrow in windowed mode.

0 comments:

Free Ground Shipping on Orders $125 or more at EpsonStore
Stop PC Crashes with WinZip System Utilities

Copyright © 2011 Tech Throes | Splashy Free Blogger Templates with Background Images, Trucks